About Me

My photo
San Pedro de Macoris, Dominican Republic
I created this blog to see how goes this experiment I like to call going to medical school in the Dominican Republic. I don't really know if I'll have any followers, but worse case scenario...maybe it can just be my little personal online journal through this crazy journey of unknown roads and lesser known destinations.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Need to get out of here

I can't, I just gotta go home. At first I wanted to stay since I haven't spent the holidays in DR since I was six, but I just gotta get out of here. You know, as much as I thought this experience living here would make me feel closer to my culture, and undoubtedly I have assimilated to the point that everything that used to shock and annoy me doesn't anymore, but the Dominican culture can be a bit much to swallow sometimes. At least for me it is. I just really need a break from the unrelenting men  (little boys and elderly men) and their incessant hitting on me, the general (and I do hate to generalize) personality of the average Dominican which critizes everything, notices everything, is always trying to find a way to outsmart and jip somebody out of something, especially when they know you're not from here. I'm sick of sticking out like a sore thumb, and of people thinking I'm a money machine (I frieking wish)!! Yes the weather's still great, and I can still drink (and do pretty much whatever else I want) out in the open without being afraid of getting arrested. Even still. I miss my home. I miss my New York. I miss my Bronx. I miss my friends, my mom, my sisters, my niece, my boyfriend (especially him), and I was beginning to become depressed, and Lord knows I can't study while depressed. So I'm out! And I can't wait!!!! I feel like I need to recharge my battery before I come back to harder classes. Yea. I think I made the right decision.

3 comments:

  1. So wait? You're coming back? Aww Izzy I can't believe things are THAT bad :( And I feel you on the whole guys hiting on you. Like they can't even respect a married woman! For Christ's sake I have 2 not 1 but 2 rings on my finger, doesnt that say enough? Ugh, I have to watch when I cross the street when I go to work bc of this weirdo old man who hisses at me and honks hir horn. Girl idk what else to do to get him to back off. I've flipped him the bird, cursed him out in both languages and nothing works! So I know what you're going through!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Yea I'm coming back but only for the holidays lol. I'm not quitting school, I just need a break. You know? And about the men girl, sometimes being a female is no easy task! Men have grown to have less and less respect for females everyday. So yes I think ignoring that guy is the best policy...after all, sometimes they get turned on when you get pissed at them!! Eww

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ok! Holidays are the best time to spend with family :) Eww!!! On a side note I flipped him the bird again last wk and today he walked by me like nothing. Por fin he got the point!!!

    ReplyDelete