About Me

My photo
San Pedro de Macoris, Dominican Republic
I created this blog to see how goes this experiment I like to call going to medical school in the Dominican Republic. I don't really know if I'll have any followers, but worse case scenario...maybe it can just be my little personal online journal through this crazy journey of unknown roads and lesser known destinations.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I guess no one wants to be black around here

So I met the most interesting person yesterday. His name is Charles from Cameroon (in Africa), he was raised in Dallas, Texas, and apparently he comes from a rich African family who's into politics (his brother's a diplomat in New York). He said he wanted to study medicine in DR and not in Poland (where he was initially going) because he wanted to be in a black country. LOL. You know I had to laugh because Dominicans would hang him if they heard him refer to them as black. He told me that out of all the countries he's ever visited (and this is a very well traveled dude) this is definitely the most racist country he's ever been in. So we had this looong conversation about Dominican society, how deluded most of them are about who they are, and how they bitch because the government steals their money, but they don't realize the government stole something far more important from them than cash: their identity. If you don't know who you are, where are you going? He told me about how he went to the capital and was denied entrance to a club because he's black. Of course the bouncer didn't know this guy could've probably bought out the entire bar that night . He also told me about how in DR when a dark skin girl sees a lighter skin girl walk in the room, she stares at the light skin girl with such noticeable envy, and it's precisely moments like these that make me ashamed of being Dominican. When people of other cultures see how ignorant we are, and I can't even argue with them because they're right. (And since I'm on this topic I'm gonna rave, cuz I've been holding it in since I've gotten here) I'm sick of these women looking at me like I'm crazy because I don't want to perm my hair. It kills me every time I see a dark skin guy kill himself to find a light skin girl cuz he thinks somehow his status in life will go up. (Don't misinterpret my words now! Everybody has preferences in dating of course, and love is love no matter what someone's color is. I myself have dated just about every color in the book. I'm talking about purposely looking to date light skin people because somehow they're "better"). You know? If I keep going I might just never finish. The point is, I've been shouted at in the streets to go to the hair salon, been called broccoli head, been told to go find a comb, but both Charles and I agree that we can't get mad at the horribly alarming level of ignorance (my own parents and family think this way)! All we can do is feel sorry for them, and thank God we know better than that.

3 comments:

  1. Ignorance just isn't in DR Izzy, it's everywhere. It gets me in a rage when people are like that, especially with their own race. It happens to us Mexicans too. Those that are born in the "capital" who are light skinned, colored eyes and light hair, they sometimes feel superior to us darker "typical" ones. And let's not talk about here in the US. Once they see you're Mexican, Ecuadorian, Salvadorean or any other S.A. country you're automatically an immigrant. What a damn shame this world we live in SMH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl yea. That's actually a good point, because now I understand other cultures go through frustrations with their own people. Ignorance is so super annoying, but I'm starting to just let it go, and not let it stress me out. So ignore it Adri! It's not worth getting upset over...just have pity on them, and pray for them fools!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beyond annoying girl! I don't but there comes a time where you cannot NOT care you know? I do pity them, unfortunately my pity won't make them understand?!?!

    ReplyDelete